Nestlé Wonka Millionaire's Shortbread Bar Review


The relaunch of the Wonka brand in the UK was announced only a few weeks ago - to much controversy (apparently the calorie content in these bars could have a "devastating impact on children"!) - so I was very surprised to see these Millionaire's Shortbread bars in a newsagents recently. Oddly, they didn't have the "Chocolate Nice Cream" variety which was also supposed to be launched along with this bar.


The bar is described as "Milk chocolate with a caramel filling (50%), containing biscuit pieces (6%)", and contains vegetable fat in addition to cocoa butter. It's quite thin and comes in 4 blocks which have the Wonka "W" printed on them.

The press release describes this bar as "Just like the classic sweet treat: it's the tasty combination of delicious caramel and shortbread pieces covered in smooth milk chocolate". What's confusing though is that this bar doesn't contain any caramel whatsoever - or at least caramel as most of us know it. True caramel is supposed to be gooey, but this bar contains some sort of caramel flavoured "paste" filling, similar to what used to be in the now-discontinued Kitkat Chunky Caramel. I cut the bar into several pieces thinking perhaps the caramel was hidden in one of the other blocks...but alas, no caramel!


Taste-wise, the bar was nice but very sweet. The biscuit pieces were very crunchy, but I couldn't detect much flavour from them as they got a bit lost in the taste of the filling. They did add a nice texture though. The "caramel" part of the bar is a sweet, caramel-flavoured filling. It wasn't unpleasant at all - infact it was very rich and tasty - but considering this bar is supposed to contain actual caramel I couldn't help but feel a bit shortchanged! It was nothing like any millionaire's shortcake I've ever eaten that's for sure. The chocolate itself was Nestlé's typical milky chocolate - it tasted nice enough but wasn't particularly distinctive.


Overall, I was disappointed by this first bar from the new Wonka range. It's tasty enough, but not particularly unique or "scrumdiddlyumptious". I think the oompa loompas need to go back to the drawing board with this one - Willy Wonka would be embarassed!

Where's the caramel?!
After trying this bar I can't say I'm all that excited about the "Chocolate Nice Cream" or "Crème Brûlée" varieties in this range, but hopefully they might be an improvement!

Price: 90p at Newsagent. Also available at B&M Bargains for 69p.
Suitable for vegetarians?: Doesn't state on packaging.
Allergy Advice: Contains milk & hazelnuts. May contain peanuts, other nuts, egg & soya traces. Biscuit contains cornflour rather than wheat flour but doesn't state if it's gluten free.
Nutrition Information (per bar): 200 Calories, 19.5g Carbohydrates, 12.2g Fat.


Comments

  1. But it says "Soft Caramel" on the packaging?? Urgh I hate false claims even more than I hate the fake use of the word "new".

    ... I'll let it go though, it's only chocolate after all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, how ridiculous is that? I seriously hope the other bars live up to their descriptions.

      Delete
    2. Everyone wasn’t grateful for the famous chocolate bar wen they were around. Now in 2021 they are a past and to some forgotten memory. Nobody will ever get to try one again.

      Delete
  2. Gutting! I was so excited to hear Wonka bars were making a return. Although, let's face it, I'll still be giving them a try.

    I wouldn't be surprised if I end up preferring this type of caramel filling - its a bit more unusual, if nothing else.

    Thanks for another great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited too...and I think it's the fact I expected these to be uber-amazing that made them even more disappointing to be honest.

      Delete
  3. 90p for a bar of that size??!!

    Er, don't think I'll be trying one of these for a while then.

    I love my choc but I find it difficult to justify paying out near a quid (or more for most of the import stuff) for bars of this size when you can pick up lots of multipacks in the supermarkets or pound shops for, well, a pound. Or pick up a lovely 200g slab of Cadbury's for £1.50 or less when it's on offer.

    Being a bit of a superscrimper at the moment, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of pleasure to save a bit of cash. Couldn't resist using Tesco's 3 for £1.20 option recently but only for Reece's Peanut Butter Cups and Kit-Kat Peanut Butter Chunky's as they aren't available in multipacks.

    Thanks for another great review - fab pics too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I was shocked at the price too. Apparently 90p isn't the regular retail price though, I think the newsagent in question was just trying to rip people off! I usually wait to buy choc from pound shops too, there's so many great bargains out there.

      3 bars for £1.20 eh? I remember the days when you could get 4, or even 5 bars for a pound! Happy times.

      Delete
  4. Oh what a let down! A caramel bar that doesn't even contain and ooey gooey caramel!..and 90p as well! Expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking forward to the return of Wonka. I will try and review them anyway, but I won't get my hopes up. I hope the other bars are better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh that is quite expensive and it isn't even a luxury chocolate treat, I will probably end up trying this though, for research purposes of course ;) haha
    Great review and I look forward to reading your review on the other flavours

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate the fact that they never say whether it is suitable for vegetarians or not!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bit miffed that they're making them over here now instead of allowing imports as for me, that's the appeal. Think I'll give them a miss and stick to the chick o stick ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought one of these and it says soft caramel, there's caramel in the filling :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It tastes amazing,I don't really nitpick whether it's too sweet or not or if it has too many calories or if it doesn't say exactly what it says on the packet.Overlooking any minor fails,if it tastes good,I would recommend it to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ngl, I loved every second of eating this, and went back to the shops to buy a second bar the very next day.

    If you don't like this, what do you like!? Lol! Only joking of course, but on a serious note, you should probably go the doctors to get your tastebuds checked, because they are dead wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Just got around to trying one and thought it was one of the nicest chocolate bars I've ever eaten. Odd, seeing as how the Chocolate Nice Cream was one of the worst.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles Salted Egg Review

Cadbury Dream Ice Creams - back for Summer! (UK)

Asda Tinned Banana Blossom Review